MBO Sport Yamaha – Maxxis British Motocross Championship RD6

July 07th 2014 | by James Burfield

With the MBO Sport ASA Scaffolding Yamaha team still suffering from earlier injuries only there number one rider, Kristian Whatley made it to the start line of round six on the Maxxis British Motocross championship at a deep sandy and very testing FatCat Moto Parc just outside Doncaster last weekend.

Heavy rain the evening before race day, and more rain over night didn’t seem to affect the lengthened track that much, but the high humidity was sapping the strength of many of the riders, especially later in the day when the track was at its roughest.

After a good qualifying and superpole Kristian got a good start in the first MX1 race but was pushed wide going into turn one and finished the opening lap in third place.

He passed Graeme Irwin on lap two and tried to match the pace GP runner and series leader Shaun Simpson, but Shaun is very good in deep sand and began to edge away.

Just before the halfway point Tommy Searle, who was making up for an average start managed to pass Kristian who had to settle for a comfortable third place.

Kristian got the holeshot at the start of the second race but was quickly passed by the on form Simpson, and two laps later Searle.

Fatigue then overtook Kristian and he dropped back slightly to finish the race in fifth place.

Once again Kristian got the holeshot in the third and final race of the day, but disaster struck two corners into the race when he lost the front wheel in the deep sand and went down.

Re-starting in almost last place he fought back to finish in sixth place.

Kristian was fourth overall and just missed out on a podium place, though he is second in the championship chase, behind Simpson.

He said about the day’s events, “I didn’t think I did that bad today, but I really need to be in the top three all the time. Qualifying went OK as I was in the top six and then changed that to fourth pick of the gate with superpole. In the first race I got a good start but got pushed wide in the first turn and Graeme (Irwin) got past me and I was in third. I was back in second after a couple of laps and tried to tag on to Shaun (Simpson) but his pace was so fast. I ended up third after Tommy passed me, which was OK because I felt good and my speed was there.

In race two I got the holeshot, but once again Shaun got past me and I tried to tag onto him again till I started to get tired and dropped back to fifth. I know my cardio is OK but I feel I need to work harder on my upper body and arm strength from now on.

I got the holeshot again in the last race but two turns into the race I lost the font end and went down and got hit a couple of times and re-started almost last. I managed to get back to sixth by the end of the race, but the track was rough it was very hard, but I know where I have to go from here”

The team’s next outing will be the MX Nationals at Canada Height in Kent on August 2nd and 3rd.


Related posts


British Superbike Championship – Round 5 Knockhill, Scotland Josh Brookes took a pair of fourth-placed finishes away from a dry round five of the...


Wonderful Walker gives Pr1mo Bournemouth Kawasaki debut BSB win The Pr1mo Bournemouth Kawasaki team were back in action over the...


Dubya USA extends its congratulations to Jeff Ward Racing’s Josh Grant on taking 2nd place in New Orleans. Grant is running Dubya’s Talon/D.I.D...